Care & Maintenance

5 Reasons Why You Shouldn’t Place Hot Items on Quartz

Once you’ve made the decision to install a quartz countertop in your kitchen or bathroom, you can rest assured there isn’t much you (or your family) can do to harm it. Stains? No problem. Quartz is non-porous so when tomato sauce, coffee, citrus juice, or even red wine is spilled, clean-up is easy and doesn’t require scrubbing or the use of harsh chemicals. Chips or cracks? Hardly a problem since quartz is arguably more durable than granite while being more forgiving. Meaning it is a great work surface and it’s extremely rare to chip or crack with normal use. Bacteria and viruses? Don’t even worry about it. Again, its non-porous design will keep germs at bay making quartz a great option for not only kitchens but bathroom vanities and bar tops, too. If quartz seems like a superhero product, there is one thing you should know. Like most superheroes, it does have one weakness. Despite all its merits, the one thing you can do to harm and possibly permanently damage your pristine quartz countertop—is to place an exceptionally hot item on it.

Quartz countertops are manmade and depending on the aesthetic, can be composed of about 90 percent crushed natural quartz material and the other 10 percent polyresin and pigment. When mixed, the resin acts as a sealant and is what makes quartz countertops non-porous (take that stains and bacteria!). But it’s this very same resin that makes quartz such a desirable surface in the home that is susceptible to being damaged by direct heat, like a hot pan. (Similarly, if you install quartz in a bathroom, you’ll want to be careful to not rest hot hair tools directly on the counter surface.)

The good news is all of this can be avoided— you just have to keep it in mind when cooking. With so many benefits to quartz countertops, don’t let a little thing like temperature turn your off of selecting it, just keep these five reasons why you shouldn’t set hot items on quartz in mind (and several trivets and kitchen towels handy).

While a quartz countertop is an extremely durable, stain-resistant, and low-maintenance product (never requiring you to apply a sealant like natural stone, such as granite or marble often does) you just have to remember to protect it from its one nemesis: a very hot pan.

Like this article? Spread the word.